Friday, May 05, 2006

shift

i find myself longing for different things now. for years, i had experienced the deep ache of wanderlust. all i could think of was getting away. while, even now, i always seem to be planning my next trip, that deep ache has transformed into a dull throb that is completely unfulfilled by my nomadlife.
what i long for now... is people. interaction. a challenge, an intimacy.
i find myself speaking less and less, commiting long passages to emails and instant messages instead of getting drunk on conversation in person.
i love this city, i love the fact that i get to come back. i love that i get to fool myself into thinking that every quarter is a fresh start for me.
but why am i not making more of it? what do i find myself so confined to my cold basement flat, unable to meet people, to interact, to speak even?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give it time-I call it the three month hell..I am set to move next week and I have mentally prepared myself for the "unstable" version of myself. Moving to a new city sometimes sucks-that's the easy way of saying it.
What you long for is a blanket of comfort-meaning your hometown may have become a dull version of My So Called Life-but that's it-it was your life-your favorite spots-people you love. Now you are surrounded by the new-and new is not always the greatest in the beginninng.In fact-it blows.
I moved to a new city three years ago and only made a "debut" from my apartment when I went to my most unwelcome job..but after four months that "new" city became home and when I returned for a visit to my old hometown...everything seemed so new again...is this making sense??
..it's ok. What you are going through. sometimes the best company is yourself-other people suck sometimes.period.

Best wishes