Thursday, August 07, 2008

downward facing 

preface: i have a personal vendetta against patchouli wearers. i roll my eyes at the mere mention of "energy." my first impulse after doing something extremely physical is to pat myself on the back with a stiff drink. i still crave  bloody hamburgers and can't get down with bob marley (try as i might).

that said- i'm turning into one of the people i used to make fun of. i am, in fact, turning into a yoga person.

my first experience with yoga was a few years ago. i took a few classes at the gym i belonged to, but hated how the teacher had everyone sit in a circle at the end of class to massage each other for 5 minutes. ew. i always wound up with a hairy dude in front of me and calloused hands gripping my shoulders as i twitched nervously and tried to come up with an excuse for why i leaned into the center of the circle precariously. it's hard to cite an inner ear infection after you've just spent 10 minutes with your legs over your shoulders and all the blood rushing to your head.

i started doing videos at home, but gave up. i have the bad habit of getting wrapped up in something, anything physical- then getting bored as hell.

i'd been feeling sluggish lately, and wanted a discernible split between my work life & my home life. so i went to yoga about 4 weeks ago.

and- truth be told- it felt fucking amazing. so fucking amazing, in fact, that i kindasorta get why ex drug addicts become obsessed with it.

it's something i look forward to almost every day, which is bloody rare (as rare as my burgers, in fact).

but if anyone ever hears/ reads me talk about my chakras or sees me wearing an ankle bracelet (or toe ring or ANYTHING with a batik print), please stage an intervention. stat.

No comments: