Monday, October 31, 2005

it's gettin' kinda hectic...

(i've got the power)

well, friends, please pardon my absence. it is not without reason, i promise. i was without power after the wrath of wilma for a whopping 7 days. mind you, my entire neighborhood had it's power restored by thursday afternoon while we sat in the dark.

i can finally retire my candles. let me just say that the hum of my air conditioner is a welcome sound indeed.

the time that it took to get things up and running is astounding. my mum, who is deeply intrigued by second wrold war lit, kept telling me how london was back in business the very next day after the nightly bombings. ladies' associations were on the street, dutifully doling out tea and biscuits. over sixty years later and we're waiting on line for hours to get water. pitiful.

a great big thanks to all of my friends (gaba, hills, and rocky especially) who opened their doors and fridges to us. and my lovely mum, who sent me back to desolation packed up with cans of tuna, long-life milk, cookies, and raisins to keep me sane.

1 comment:

jiji said...

hi hon glad to hear you guys are ok!